30 May 2010

Smokin' Hot

I know I missed another day. Turns out that toothache was much worse than I thought. Now I'm on antibiotics which never really agree with me. Anyway... it's time for a movie review! One of my favourite movies because I need to think happy thoughts. You know how in my review of Clue I said that it's hard to have alot of main characters without one person stealing the show or getting confusing? Clue did it well, but there is another movie that I think managed it even better.

That movie of course is 200 Cigarettes. Ah, what a fantastic film. You know it's good when Casey Afleck is in it, and I can pretend for an hour and a half that he's a good actor. Seriously. Have you ever seen Lonesome Jim? He makes me want to smash my head against the table. Yet, even he does a great job as the punk with a heart of gold. However, his storylines aren't the best in my humble opinion. (Which is what you're reading, so get used to it being shoved down your throat.)


(picture copyright Dogstar Films)


[SPOILERS AHEAD] Lucy (Courtney Love) and Kevin (Paul Rudd) provide the perfect angsty love story. They're really close friends who are afraid to admit they have feelings for each other. Just as they're about to get together, Kevin's ex-girlfriend Ellie (Janeane Garofalo) comes back into the picture. Don't fret folks. They do get together in the end. It's heart warming.

Though, the best part of the movie is Elvis Costello. No, I just don't mean that the movie has a killer soundtrack. [SPOILERS AHEAD] I mean the fact that he plays himself, and he actually goes to Monica's (Martha Plimpton) party. You know, right after she passes out drunk thinking no one is coming. God, every time I watch this movie, I feel really sorry for her. Yet, I can't help laughing. Alot.

It's just a fun movie with great humour, great music and a seriously great cast. You know, with Casey Afleck aside. (Yes, I do hate him that much.) The title unfortunately has nothing to do with them smoking 200 cigarettes throughout the film. Lucy buys Kevin a carton of cigarettes for his birthday which, of course, is 200 cigarettes. I wish the myth that they smoked that much was true. I lost count after about 60 cigarettes. Maybe you can watch it and count yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment