28 May 2010

Creepy Masks, Creepy Fun

I have a toothache, and it is driving me crazy. I can't really think straight. It was bad enough sitting still through a whole movie, but I was literally riveted to the spot for the first time in awhile that I kind of forgot that my tooth was in extreme pain.

The movie I was watching was Carriers (finally). I have been dying to see this movie since I saw the ad where the main characters are wearing those creepy masks. Man, that alone scared me.


(picture copyright Paramount Vantage)


The movie is not a horror film. I guess you could make a strech and call it thriller, but then again, I never was good at genres. I call everything I listen to "alternative". It did make me jump a few times, but this movie isn't out to scare you. It isn't out to warn you. I don't even think you could really call it a study of how people would act in this type of situation.

Carriers mainly is just a story. This is what happens to these four people who are forced together during this epidemic and how they cope with the world around them. Simple. I like it. [SPOILERS AHEAD] I sat here and read the boards where people are complaining that it was left open ended. That the virius is never explained or even named. Can't people just sit and enjoy a movie for what it is without a backstory? In real life, you don't always know how something started.

Okay, maybe I just liked it because I'm a huge Lou Taylor Pucci fan (as you know). I'm just glad that he was in a movie that is getting alot of attention. It's about time he's recognized. The film was decent enough. I'm not saying that it's my favourite film now. As I said in my post about Legion, I'm not huge on "end of the world" type films anyway. Usually it is due to the self rightous message. "Oh, you looted this store to survive. Now you must die because that's wrong." Spare me.

Then again, it might just be the masks. A smiley face with a tongue sticking out? Vampire teeth? They're just so damn cheerful... It's creepy. It does fit in with the ultimate rule in Zombieland: Enjoy the little things. If the world was ending, I'd be cracking jokes to keep from going crazy. I'm still sure I'm having nightmares with cheery face masks tonight, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment