10 May 2010

Don't Call Me Shirley

Spoof movies usually make fun of whole genres at one go. (Naked Gun makes fun of cop movies, Scary Movie makes fun of, obviously, scary movies, etc.) Somewhere along the line, they've become their own genre. They're usually released directly on DVD with no press. I bet you've never even heard of Stan Helsing. Yet, I've watched it two times myself.

I have a soft spot for spoof movies. I remember watching Airplane, Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles as a kid. I hadn't seen many of the movies that they were even making fun of. (I still haven't watched that many Westerns to this day.) But I loved them so much. They never fail to make me laugh.

Sure, the genre had taken a turn for the worst for a bit back there. We had monstrosities such as Date Movie. (God, that made me want to gauge my eyes out.) We had our fair share of near misses such as Not Another Teen Movie. (Which I think I only like because of the slow clap guy.) Oh, and probably the most ridiculous of them all: My Big Fat Independent Movie. (The biggest waste of five dollars ever.)

I don't think that the spoof movie will be dying any time soon, though. People love to laugh. It truly is the best medicine. We love the serious movies. We love the scary movies. We also love to then proceed to make fun of these movies. Yes, I'm a fan of riffing, so obviously I would be a supporter of the spoof genre. You know you love it too.

I think if anything, spoof movies actually help the movie industry. Not only are they making money off of their DVD rentals and sales, but the movies that are made fun of may possibly see spikes in their rentals and sales too. (It does help to know what they're making fun of.) So rent a funny movie. Maybe rent a few others if you aren't sure what the jokes mean. Then prepare to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment