12 May 2010

Lime Light

I was really excited to see the movie Lymelife after I read about it in EW about a year ago. I just finally got around to waching it (literally finished it ten minutes ago) and now I come bearing a movie review.

Granted, I am a fan of the realistic films that the inedpendent scene has been churning out the past ten or so years. However, Lymelife didn't quite make it, I think. The movie at times felt like it was either moving too fast or too slow, and it always changed speed at the wrong time. The most likeable character for me, Jim (Kieran Culkin) ends up leaving before you even truly get to know his character.

Thanks to my mom, I was quite aware of all the anachronisms right down to "No one wore red bras in the 70's... unless you were a hoochie!" See, you can learn so much about the past watching period pieces. I can understand that when you're setting a film in the past, it can be hard to keep everything accurate. [SPOILERS AHEAD] However, they have Jim going off to fight in the Falkhands War which (as stated in the list of anachronisms on IMDb) didn't occur until 1982 and didn't even invole American troops.

I think I could look past all that even, but the thing that got me most was the awkwardness between our two main characters Scott (Rory Culkin) and Becky (Emma Roberts). [SPOILERS AHEAD] The sex scene between the two near the end of the film goes on way too long. (See! The pace changes yet again!) It's extremely uncomfortable to watch. I mean, come on people. Everyone has had their own awkward first times. I don't think anyone really wants to watch someone else's. Even if it is fictional.

So the movie had some things going for it. As I said, Jim was a good character. And of course, Alec Baldwin turned a great performance, even if he was once again playing an alcoholic father who screws everything up. I guess he does that well. (See Running with Scissors.) Alot against it. I guess they all can't be fantastic. If you want to watch something that promises to make you laugh (and once again the blurbs lie) and instead makes you cry, then this is the movie for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment