19 May 2010

Three Days Well Spent

I know! I didn't get to post yesterday. I made a promise to myself I wasn't going to be totally obsessive about posting every day, and I managed to not freak out having missed a day. (Okay, I totally did freak out.) I was a bit busy because I was hanging out with Coco and Arden. We ended up watching The Wasp Woman, and it occured to me that I've had a movie blog for a month now and I haven't written about Rober Corman yet.

Where to begin with Roger Corman. Well, he's got to have the longest IMDb page I have ever seen. To being with, he has 389 producer credits. Although he has sworn off making movies, he is still producing movies to this day, the most recent one being Sharktopus which is to air this summer. (Now I totally want to see this.)

My first Corman film, as is most people's, was Little Shop of Horrors. Corman didn't do too many horror/comedies during his career (most of his were either exploitation or scifi) but my two favourite movies of his were in this genre. I feel that he set the stage for later directors to really fine tune this vein of movies.

The first of those two films is Little Shop. I mean, it's a classic. A classic made in three days using a set that was made for another movie. I love it. Corman always was finding ways to save money. Sometimes it wasn't such a good idea, but LSOH managed to become a cult classic (using my definition of the term, of course) and is still a fantastic film to this day.

The other one is a movie that isn't as well known called Bucket of Blood. Once again, Corman is his best whilst thinking on his feet. This was another film made in less than a week using sets and props from previous films. I believe the script was written in about one day with only few rewrites. (My source being How I Made 100 Movies in Hollywood and Never Lost a Dime by Corman.)

Once again, another director that has this DIY ethic that I feel has been lost on the current genration. I said my faith was restored in modern day movies thanks to alot of fantastic children's films that are coming out. I think it's if more directors were as dedicated and that aren't just focused on getting big name talent and big time graphics, we would see more outstanding films.

No comments:

Post a Comment