20 May 2010

We Are the Weirdos

While I was growing up, it was kind of hard to find strong female characters to look up to. Don't get me wrong. Who doesn't love getting saved? I just really wanted some girls who could kick ass once in awhile. When I was 12, I saw The Craft for the first time, and I became obsessed with it.

Granted, these girls are not exactly someone you should be looking up to. Even the main character Sarah (Robin Tunney) doesn't exactly play nice. It was just refreshing to finally find a movie where the girls were in charge. Plus, the wardrobes were fantastic.

Pretty much the movie is just about these four young witches who have to deal with the consequences of their powers. Sarah seems to be the only one who realizes that they cannot abuse magic while the others use spells to get back at people they don't like, gain money, etc.

Even though we have the one responsible witch, she still isn't exactly a princess. Though the movie ends with her helping her dad with the groceries, it always seemed to me that now Sarah seems to be abusing magic. Then again, I could have read that wrong. Enough about Sarah, though, seriously. She always annoyed me. Let's talk about Nancy (Fairuza Balk).

I loved Nancy. Man, she was so badass. [SPOILERS AHEAD] She starts off living in a trailor with her over worked mother and her deadbeat boyfriend. As her powers grow, she manages to kill the schlub and turns out... he had a pretty big insurance policy. Kaching! Okay, so maybe she gets a little power crazy, but I truly feel sorry for her in the end. [STILL MORE SPOILERS] Sure she tried to kill Sarah, but did she deserve to be put in a mental institution? I guess this is where my love for the anti-hero started. I knew I was supposed to feel more for Sarah, but boo hoo. She was all "Feel sorry for me." while Nancy took what she wanted. Plus, she had friggin' boss boots.

As with most movies I love, The Craft isn't a masterpiece. There are alot of shots where you can see crew members. Oh, and you can tell Tunney is wearing a wig since she shaved her head for Empire Records. (I love her in that role. Still not a good female hero, however.) But it was my first exposure to kickass girls. For that, I am grateful.

2 comments: