17 May 2010

God Save Me

I was actually quite excited to see Legion. I'm not usually one for end of the world type movies (unless the end of the world is coming due to zombies) but the trailer had me convinced it would be at least a decent film. I mean, they got Paul Bettany who I love. C'mon! Chaucer from A Knight's Tale? He was brillant. Oh, and you can't forget Dennis Quaid who is the man.

Unfortunately, I was incrediably disappointed with this film. It just fell flat on all accounts. The beginning was promising for a bit. [KIND OF SPOILERS AHEAD] Especially when Gladys (Jeanette Miller), the little old lady from the ad, starts cursing and climbing on the ceiling. It was pretty cool.

But for a movie that was supposed to be action packed, it was pretty talky. Sure, I perfer movies that focus on the characters' interactions with each other (see Thumbsucker) but I sat down for my annual action packed blockbuster. Instead, I was given entire passages of the characters spouting monologues about how terrible their life is. Oh, suck it up. You're all in the same boat now. You've made it this far through the apocolypse. Obviously you did something right.

I was also ticked off that the entire mythology was never really explained. Okay, we get it Michael (Bettany). The baby needs to be born to save humankind. You said it twenty thousand times. Now, could you please go into a bit more detail. It'll only take a minute, honest. Why this child? He was conceived out of wedlock. Is it him because that's like a big F.U. to God? Because then it could be pretty much any baby. I actually want to know, but instead, we had to spend 20 minutes on Sandra (Kate Walsh) mourning the loss of her husband (Jon Tenney).

To be quite blunt, there is no point to see this movie. Catholic or atheist, it's going to offend you just by sheer lack of plot. It was a waste of some great talent and potentially good scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment