11 May 2010

They're Coming to Get You

I have already blogged about my love for all things zombie. As I had said in that entry, my first exposure to zombies was by watching George Romero's classic movie Night of the Living Dead. I am obviously a huge Romero fan, so of course, I was excited when I heard that he has a new movie coming ou this month.

First, let's take a quick look at Romero's filmography. After the success of Night, he continued the Dead series with Dawn of the Dead. (My personal favourite of the original trilogy.) There is a rumour that he wrote a sequel that he did not like, and he decided to sell that script and start over. The rumoured film: Return of the Living Dead. Then came Day of the Dead, which ended the Dead series. Or so we thought.

Now, the first three have all seen remakes now. Night has had two, one in 1990 which was alright and then another in 2006 that was in 3-D. Man, it was awful. Day's remake, starring Nick Cannon, barely stood up to the original and changed most of the plotline. The only remake I think that lived up to the orignal had to be the Dawn remake, which is a fantastic zombie movie in it's own right.

Romero wasn't finished however. In 2005, he released Land of the Dead. Technically not part of the Dead series, but widely accepted as the fourth film since it's set after the events of Day. I wasn't a big fan of Land, but it did see some success. The concept was very unique and interesting and out of all of the Dead films, probably the most scary.

I'm only on this, but I actually loved the next film, Diary of the Dead. Most fans claim that Romero was just hopping on the bandwagon with the success of Cloverfield. The whole movie is shot through Jason's (Josh Close) point of view. I don't know about you, but I love that style if it's done right and I think that Romero did a fantastic job. Even if it's ranked as his worst film.

So now on the 28th this month, we have Survival of the Dead coming out. The boards don't seem to offer any good news. Most people are saying "the trailer looks awful." "Romero will not be able to live down Diary now." I don't really care. When it comes to Romero, he is the king of zombie movies. I'm going to go see it, and even if it's like Land, I still know I will not leave the theater disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment