02 May 2010

Soundtrack Available

Most of our favourite movies wouldn't be quite the same without their soundtrack. Music sets the mood, gives us a time period and fills what would otherwise be awkward silence. Granted, alot of my favourite movies do have some awkward silence during scenes, but you have to keep in mind that I like the quirky indie films that don't follow rules.

I'll be honest, I don't own alot of the soundtracks to my favourite movies. Many of the ones I love I already owned a decent amount of the music that was used. For instance, The Go-Getter's soundtrack consists of mostly M. Ward and The Replacements. I already own all of their albums.

So The Go-Getter cheated. I already was in love with that music. The same can be said then for movies like Juno (The Moldy Peaches, Kimay Dawson, etc.), Wristcutters (Gogol Bordello) and Adventureland (more The Replacements, Velvet Underground, etc.). It was too easy for them to win me over with their brillant choice of tunes.

Excluded these movies then, what is my favourite movie soundtrack? It is a very tough decision to make. I decided, however, that the answer is an easy one when I think about it. Empire Records is one of my favourite soundtracks, and if it weren't for that movie, I would not have known many of those bands.

The movie was made in 1995 when I was just a wee child. I didn't see the movie until I was about 13 years old. I immediately fell in love. The movie is completely over the top with characters that you can easily assign to your friends.

The music is a mix of 90's indie rock (Toad the Wet Sproket), punk (The Adolescents), 80's pop (Billy Idol) and original music for the movie (Coyote Shivers and, of course, Rex Manning). I find myself singing along with the tunes just like the employees of Empire every time I watch the movie. Every song that was chosen fits perfectly and definitely fits the vibe of an independent record store.

No comments:

Post a Comment