01 May 2010

Murder for Dummies

I started writing today's entry hours ago, decided I didn't like what I was writing, watched Fanboy and Chum Chum and crashed on my couch. I have returned, though, bearing another movie review.

As you have learned from previous posts, me and my friend Coco love sharing movies with each whether we rent them together or discover them indepently. A couple of months ago, she recommended this film to me. I had already bookmarked it myself, and after she had said it was a good film, I decided to give it a go.

This movie would be How to Be a Serial Killer. It's a little horror comedy film that has caused alot of controversy amongst independent film makers. Most say that it's copying better films such as Mr. Brooks and Behind the Mask. I hate to say that I have seen neither of these films. You know I probably will eventually, and perhaps then my assessment will be less biased.

Rip off or not, I did enjoy this movie despite it's few downfalls. [SPOILERS AHEAD] The whole concept of Mike (Dameon Clarke) teaching the "audience" the ways of serial killing a la a magician meets a seminar is absolutely hilarious. The rules he comes up with are so out there, yet make sense. For instance, never kill people you know. It'll just get messy from there on.

[STILL MORE SPOILERS] Which of course, becomes Mike's downfall. Luckily for him, his protege Bart (Matthew Gray Gubler) has been taking notes. I mean, literally, he carries a notebook with them when they go killing people. The Gube is just so good at playing the nerds. He is a good student, and even though they are technically the bad guys, the viewer is happy to see Bart following in Mike's footsteps by the end of the film.

I won't lie. I'm a sucker for the anti-hero so of course I was going to like the whole concept of the serial killers being the characters you feel for. It is true that the best part of the film is Mike's lecture and sometimes the whole mocumentary style does not fit, but it's worth a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment