21 May 2010

Speechless

Yeah, I didn't know what to even title this entry. I watched Gigantic today, and the movie left me completely speechless. I felt completely cheated by what could have been a fantastic film that instead became what I saw as a combination of two movies that had no business being together.

I should have listened to Lou when she said it wasn't worth my time. I've been watching alot of movies recently that are a waste of good talent. I honestly love Paul Dano. He was fantastic in Little Miss Sunshine. You have to be to convey so much emotion without talking for more than half the film. Then, his role in Explicit Ills was so heartbreaking. He made that movie for me.

[SPOILERS AHEAD] Then he goes and plays Bryan who I'm not sure if he's either shy or out going. Then he starts seeing a homeless man (Zach Galifianakis - Yeah I was surprised too.) who is constantly beating him up. Other characters acknowledge his injuries, but then near the end of the film Bryan "kills" the homeless man, and then the body is no longer there. Is Bryan skitzophrenic? How in God's name did he pass the inspections to adopt a child?

This was the only plotline that ended up going nowhere either. [MORE SPOILERS AHEAD Happy (Zooey Deschanel) sort of screws things up with Bryan. She gets sick when he tells her he was approved to adopt a baby. She skips his party and while they're talking about that, she doesn't drink. She goes to his apartment to apologize and starts to say "I'm..." when she is rudely interrupted by his family. Okay, I kind of figured out for myself that she was probably pregnant, but then they just end the film with that. C'mon! I want to know: does she keep the baby? Abort? Do they stay together?

Even the saving graces of this film John Goodman and Edward Asner (the fathers of our two barely developed characters) couldn't save the film. They provided some laughs, but in the end were portrayed as nothing but politically incorrect old men. Seriously? Oh, and what's up with the title? What is gigantic? The disappointment at the end of the film?

I should start writing these films. Here's how I see this movie playing out. Keep the first half as is. That was alright. Bryan ends up knocking up Happy, and she breaks the news to him. He pulls off the adoption list and they raise their baby together. Sure, it's too neat and simple. Real life doesn't work out this way. But at least it makes sense.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always right...haha,I joke. :P
    I was wondering what you would think of it though because in theory it seems like a great film.
    I can't stop thinking about how good it could have been if it had a different writer,such an amazing cast,oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you are Lou.
    I should have listened.

    Yeah, I was like "Oh, it can't be that bad" but it was.

    I know. I should have written it. XD

    ReplyDelete