01 June 2010

Drain the Lagoon

I'm trying to get back into the habit of blogging everday. I think I'm doing a good job, eh? Even though I'll admit it's another day that I have no idea what to say. I haven't really been renting movies as often as I usually would be during the summer. I did recall eventually that I did rent this crazy little film. It had been in my que online for ages, and it finally came the other week.

When I say crazy... I mean, it was pretty silly. It was called Creatures from the Pink Lagoon. (So I browse the gay section on Blockbuster.com. Sue me.) Very low budget. Very DIY ethic. I don't think many people have seen it besides the families of the people involved and me and Coco. It doesn't even have one thread on it's message board on IMDb. That's pretty obscure.


(picture copyright Seattle Theatre Project)


I really wanted to like it. Honest. However, I just wasn't feeling it. The movie is meant to be set in 1967, and for the most part, they did a pretty good job. Only one character, Randall (Philip D. Clarke), was wearing clothes that did not fit the time period. I can live with that.

There were plenty of other mistakes, but they were the kind that you learn to love when you watch alot of cheesy movies. [SPOILERS AHEAD] At one point, you see one of the giant mosquitos bite Bobby (Bill Morrison) and you can obviously see the string. Things like that warm my heart... not make me dislike a film.

Yet, I couldn't really get into it. The character development left more to be desired especially considering the film only clocked in at about an hour long. [SPOILERS AHEAD] I can understand they wanted to keep it short like classic horror movies from the time period. I could tell they wanted us to feel sorry for Phillip (Nick Garrison) since his boyfriend Bobby was cheating on him, but instead I just felt annoyed. He acted like he had no idea, but everyone knew it. Ugh, just admit it already!

It was worth a few laughs. [SPOILERS AHEAD] I did chuckle when Stan (Lowell Deo) realized that playing Judy Garland would cure all the zombies because "no queen can resist Judy". However, I wouldn't say it was worth renting. It's ultra hard to find, and online it was listed as "Really Long Wait" for about five months before I got it in the mail. I would suggest if you want a good gay horror/comedy, you rent Psycho Beach Party instead. That movie is absolutely fantastic. Charles Busch as Detective Monica Stark is brillant. No awesome drag queens in Creatures. There's yet another strike. Ah well. They all can't be winners... or losers for that matter.

2 comments: