15 May 2010

I Found a Clue

Today Arden, Devon and I played a lovely little game of Clue. Devon ended up winning. (Professor Plum in the lounge with the knife.) I was very close to winning, mind you, but whenever I play, it got me thinking "When I get home... I know what I'm going to write about today."

Clue is possibly is one of my favourite movies of all time. Who cannot love a comedy/mystery based on a classic board game? Okay, so it sounds ridiculous when you first think about it, but trust me. It's a fantastic movie.

I have to say this first off because I truly believe that what makes this movie is the cast. Since there are six characters in the game, they all had to be present in the movie. Then there were three other characters who played important roles in the movie version. Yet, they all could very easily steal the show. I won't list them all, but don't forget you can check out the IMDb page to see where I'm coming from.

[SPOILERS AHEAD] Just like the game, you get to follow the clues and guess along with who is the murderer. Now, the movie has three different endings which the DVD version does have all of them. My favourite, of course, is the third one where everyone, except Mr. Green (Michael McKean), killed someone. Though, the best part about this is if you do carefully watch the movie, it all perfectly sits together.

[STILL SPOILERS] For instance, Wadsworth (Tim Curry) says that the person who killed Mr. Boddy (Lee Ving) was not present when they were in the kitchen. Three people were not present, and in each of the endings, one of them were the original murderer. It's probably sad that I have watched this movie so many times that I have been able to pick these all up, but the movie was so perfectly crafted that it could work out with so many possible endings, just like the game.

2 comments: