27 May 2010

Short and to the Point

I've been missing another two days, I know. I had much bigger fish to fry (a.k.a. geeking out over the season 5 Criminal Minds finale). I'll be honest, I didn't even have any idea of what to blog about those two days anyway. I used the excuse of being busy, but I wouldn't have known what to write if I had sat down at the computer anyway.

So I was thinking about it today. I ended up watching some of the songs from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog earlier. I pretty much consider that a short film despite being orginally released in three parts online. It was eventually released on DVD (which I, of course, own). It did help me think of a topic for today.

There are not enough short films out there anymore. Well, okay. Let me rephrase that. There are probably hundreds of short films made in the United States alone, but they are barely advertised. Back when I actually watched the Academy Awards, I always hated when they gave out the award for Best Short Film. I had never even heard of any of the nominees. I'd be like "Who cares?"

And it's really sad because no one really cares. Recently, I've gotten into short films again thanks to LOGO. They have a great program where they show short films make by gay directors. Not all of them are fantastic, but it's nice to know that someone out there is willing to give these films a shot at some recognition. You would think that with the instant availability due to the Internet that an exact opposite would be happening and short films would be becoming more popular.

Unfortunately, unless you count the few successes such as Dr. Horrible, short films are losing. I have decided now that I'm going to do more on my part to find short films instead of waiting for them to come to me. Maybe then if I ever decide to actually watch the awards again, I'll know what they're talking about. It is always nice to have an opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment