23 May 2010

The Best For Last

DVDs have allowed us rot our brains even more with hours of extra footage, and do I love every minute of that brain cell killing footage. Sure, I watch the extra features sometimes. Horror movies are the best for how they do the make up. So I have a bit of an obsession with fake blood? So what?

Though, I hate when I look into the special features and see "Alternative Ending". Why? Because it always seems that I actually end up liking that ending better than the one the director went with. (Usually to aquire a paticular rating.) I have already sort of dealt with this in my review of Disturbing Behavior when I said that a line in the alternative ending should have been left in the film. It fit the sarcastic overtone of the rest of the movie.

Today, I was watching Night of the Living Dorks with my dad again. I remembered that the first time I watched it, I did end up looking at the features, including the other ending. [SPOILERS AHEAD] Throughout the whole movie, they talk about the upcoming summer dance, but we never see that. In the other possible ending, there is a huge confrontation between characters at said dance. It's a bit more dramatic than the ending that eventually was used in the film.

Not that I dislike the ending. I think it's pretty good, but when you have an over the top movie that already clearly has an R rating, why else would you cut out an ending that fits better? Especially when it is blatently obvious that in this example, the "alternative" one was actually the original. Why else would we spend time discussing the dumb summer dance, then?

So now, if I end up watching the special features on a DVD, I don't watch alternative endings. Deleted scences are fair game, though sometimes I end up yelling at my television because of those too. I understand that alot of ideas are going to end up being cut out so impatient people like me don't have to sit through a four hour movie. I just wish that the best ending was the first choice, not the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment