14 May 2010

Nightmares and Night Breakfast

I went out for a night on the town, so I almost missed posting an entry. I still have not missed one day yet, however! Even if my entry was stupid because I was sick or brain dead. It's all good. So Coco, Stoves and I went to see A Nightmare on Elm Street and then endulged in some night breakfast at Denny's. (Which is tradition.)

The remake wasn't a total disaster, but I had my quibbles. Quite a few. Well, more than a few. More like alot. Don't get me wrong, the movie didn't fall completely flat, but it wasn't as good as the original despite new effects, a script with more time spent on it, etc.

One thing I have to give the movie credit for is that it admitted it's only a slasher film: let's get right down to the violence. No 20 minutes setting characters up when we all know they're going to be killed sooner or later anyway. [SPOILERS AHEAD] However, they spent the first half hour with Kris (Katie Cassidy) and then she is killed. Wait a minute, I thought she was the main character. I started scratching my head.

Okay, at first I was confused, but I give them credit for a different format. I was starting to get annoyed, though, but all the goofs. [SPOILERS AHEAD] The most noticable one being when Marcus (Aaron Yoo) is posting his blog about his nightmares. During the last one, he falls asleep and his head is smashed into the camera. Uh, excuse me, but who posted the blog then? Freddy?

Oh, speaking of Freddy (Jackie Earle Haley)... Worst part of the whole movie. I know Mr. Haley has a following. Mostly of geeks who were in love with Watchmen and probably had never heard of him until then. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but if I had never seen him in something else, I would highly doubt his acting chops. His Freddy was zombie-like. He barely had any emotion. He didn't even seem to enjoy killing when the REAL Freddy (Robert Englund) spit his one liners with the obvious enjoyment of the sadist he was.

Sure, the original was cheesy. The acting wasn't fantastic. The effects were as good as a low-budget movie made in the 80's could be. I stand by my original statement that the original didn't need to be remade. Englund will always be Freddy and he'll haunt my nightmares before new Freddy ever does.

2 comments:

  1. The original is just classic in all its cheese. I agree that it didn't need to be remade. I'll probably still see this at some point, though, just because it's what I do.

    P.S. - I love when you warn about the spoilers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed it was. Oh, I know. I had to torture myself and see it. It was inevitable.

    Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete