30 April 2010

As Seen On TV

When I was in third grade, I would come home from school everyday, sit down on the living room floor with my homework and watch the Aladdin show. It's mostly forgotten now, but I loved that show as much as I loved the movie. I was also a dedicated fan to many shows based on movies such as The Little Mermaid and Timon and Pumba. (I do think it's kinda sad that I find myself watching Penguins of Madagascar after work nowadays.)

Movies being turned into TV shows and vice versa has been happening since television began. Usually, I don't mind. The kind of movies that get turned into TV shows are children's movies that I don't believe need to keep the "movie's original integrity in tact". Or something like that. Who knows what I think?

However, I recently read a blog that made me a bit nervous. There have been rumours that they will be taking one of my favourite television shows, Skins, and turning it into a full length movie.

Now, I'm not sure how they plan to pull this off. First of all, the show has had two different casts. The shows format is one cast will be one for two years, and then a whole new cast is brought in with a loose tie to the original characters. It was the creator's idea in order to keep the show "young". So an obvious issue would be which cast would be starring in the film? Or would they combine the two for the first time?

Another problem that arises is that each episode focusses on one character until the finale which brings them all together. What exactly would the movie be about? A day in the life of all the characters? Or is the audience going to be overwhelmed with everything that is going on in 10 main characters lives? It's too much for one movie.

I think that some things should be left as what they were intended to be. I still would love for Disney Channel to start rerunning the Aladdin show, however. I miss good Iago.

2 comments:

  1. Say it ain't so, Joe! :(

    I've also heard rumors of a US version of the show. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they don't too. :(

    Oh yeah! I read that too! I had forgotten about that. Doesn't the US have enough teen shows? Don't ruin the quirkiness of Skins with our strict censorship and no sense of humour. XD

    ReplyDelete