29 June 2010

Supper Time

Another random movie review today because I'm not feeling paticularly creative, I'm afraid. I saw this movie back when it came out with my family. What better for a slightly dysfunctional family to bond over a movie about an even more dysfunctional family. Am I right?

When Do We Eat? is a fantastic little independent film. It may not be really original because once you've seen a movie about a family fighting, you've seen them all. (Eulogy, Little Miss Sunshine, etc.) I can't help it though. I love them.

The basic plotline is that this family has gathered for a seder, and everybody is mad at everybody. Fighting and chaos ensues. [SPOILERS AHEAD] At one point, Zeke (Ben Feldman) slips his father Ira (Michael Lerner) what he belives to be ecstacy to make the night go a bit more smoothly.


(picture copyright When Do We Eat? Inc.)


Random little rant to stick in here. I love when I do these blogs, and I read the IMDb page for them. Sometimes they're movies I've already seen (and usually multiple times). I end up learning things about the film I didn't know already. I love seeing the company... especially when they made their own company just so they could release their film. We need more gumption like this in the movie industry, or otherwise, we're gonna keep having shitty Hollywood films dominating what people watch these days.

End random rant. Back to review: It is really hard to surprise me with films. I more often than not guess the ending halfway through. WDWE, however, has a surprise ending that blew me away. I know I give more spoilers than I should in this blog, but I will not let anything slip about that. If you do ever get around to watching it, trust me, it is worth it for the end. Sure, the rest of the movie might make you a bit uncomfortable, but you can do it.

WDEW has many laughs, and for a small independent film with a low budget, it definitely delivers. I think it's a good movie to watch on one of these muggy (Ugh, please winter come save me already!) summer days. Oh, and make sure you gather the whole family. This is a movie you should share with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment