03 June 2010

First is the Worst

I know, I know. I missed another day. I have a legitimate reason, though, I swear. I just got season 2 of CSI on DVD. I spent the whole day watching it. Made it through the first three discs. Oh yeah. I'm in heaven.

Okay, so I think by now you should realize that I am a nerd. 100% fangirl. Damn proud of it. Not ashamed to shout it. So I'm going to tell you a little secret, but you are not allowed to tell anyone else: I kind of like sequels. *GASP*

Yes, sequels are usually frowned upon, and I will admit, it's for good reason. Sequels most often do not live up to their originals. There are very few that do and even a select few more that surpass their predecessor. In my opinion Shrek 2 is definitely better than the first one. Yet, you will have people who will argue that you could never make a movie that's better than the first no matter what.

I more times than not would agree with them. I might enjoy sequels, but the first usually is the best. For example, I love the Scream trilogy. Actually, scratch love. I am obsessed with the Scream trilogy. I've watched it countless times. The first one was one of the most original horror movies ever. It scared the crap out of me as a kid. Cell phones were just starting to get popular. I didn't know anyone who owned one. I was terrified until we got caller I.D.

(Random fact: The sales of caller I.D. increased 97% after Scream came out.)


(picture copyright Dimension Films)


Sure, the other two films never did quite pass the first one. [SPOILERS AHEAD] The other killers couldn't even begin to be as crazed and creepy as Billy. (Skeet Ulrirch) He's really good at doing psycho, you gotta hand it to him. Another reason they aren't as good could be that when you have a legend with a killer that can be, um, killed... It's kind of hard to make a sequel. You have to figure out who picks up where the last one left off, why they would, how do they know Sidney. They did do it, though it is a bit far fetched when it all comes together in the third film.

So, we all complain when a sequel is made to our favouite film. We all groan and say "It won't be as good as the first." And I'd agree that 9 times out of 10 it'll suck. 2 times it'll be pretty good and maybe, just maybe 1 time it'll actually be better than the original. So forget the preconception about sequels and give them a chance. For me, your favourite fangirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment