04 June 2010

Keeping Up with the Competition

One thing I learned from Mass Media Literacy (besides that Dr. E despises Disney and Ryan Seacrest) is that when a new form of mass media is introduced, it tramps the previous top dog. The only exception being magazines. They never really were the top form of mass media. Sad, really. I do enjoy a good magazine. (Read Bust. It's fantastic.)

When television started to gain popularity in the 1950's, the movie industry was in trouble. Television was free. (Yes, there was a time when the popular shows weren't on special channels you have to pay $50 extra for.) The country would much rather sit at home and watch something in their living room than pay (I'm basing this guesstimate on stories from my gram) 50 cents to go to the movies.

This is why we see alot of television formats being turned into the plot lines of movies, and also, tying into another of my entries, movies based entirely on certain TV shows. This is still the case because we are going through another tough time in the country. Money is a bit tight, and it can be quite pricey going to the movies. ($6.50 alone for a matinee showing? Harsh.)

So why, then, has there not been a movie about forensics? Cop shows have been huge for decades, and there hasn't been a lack of cop movies out. However, in 2000, CSI: Las Vegas took the country by storm. Forensic shows have become incredibly popular, so much so that two spin offs of Vegas were born. (New York and Miami.) It would be the logical next step to have a movie based around crime scene investigators. Hell, I know I'd go see it. I'm obsessed with CSI. I'm horrible at science, but I find it extremely fascinating.

I was just reading an article on Las Vegas's tenth season. Unfortunately, Wendy (Liz Vassey) will not be returning next season since her contract was not renewed. This is devastating to me since I lived for the awkward "romance" between her and Hodges. (Wallace Langham) It was, though, what had me thinking that it's amazing that this show is going into it's tenth season, and they never made a movie based on it or a forensics movie in general.


(picture copyright CBS)


As much as I whined that I was upset at the possibility of a Skins movie, I would actually love to see a CSI one made. The show is kind of running out of ideas. Some of the episodes during season nine made me cringe they were so ridiculous. I mean... a panty convention? Really CBS? Maybe a movie is what they need to rejuvenate the series. The article did say they wish to squeeze a couple more seasons out of the show. I hope they can do it, honestly. Oh, and stop firing my lab rats. I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment