24 June 2010

Take a Bite

I know that technically I already wrote an entry today, but I'm counting that as yesterday's. I would have made it if I wasn't so caught up in Dexter. Such is the life of a complete nerd, right?

To pick up from the last entry, Splice had pretty much disturbed me. I was feeling pretty hopeless and was disappointed in movies. I had begun to wonder where all the good movies had gone. Then, I got my next Blockbuster movie in the mail and it was My Boyfriend's Back. I'd been waiting for it for ages, and my friend Sonya had then told me how good it was.

I popped it in, hoping that I could at least get a few laughs. What I got was definitely more than that. It was a fantastic little movie. I'm a sucker for zombie movies where zombies can talk, think and act like normal humans. Of course, because people are afraid that zombies are different, others are zombiest. (Oh yes, I made that word up.)


(picture copyright Touchstone Pictures)


I thought that this type of zombie movie was just starting, but Boyfriend did it back in '93 and they did it wonderfully. There is no explanation of how someone who died can come back besides that said person had something to do and came back on their own accord. Plus, I just love the way that no one is really scared that Johnny (Andrew Lowery) is a zombie really. Only when he eats people.

Actually, his mother (Mary Beth Hurt) is my favourite character for this alone. [SPOILERS AHEAD] She calls the doctor when Andrew won't eat. She tells the doctor "Well, Johnny just died and I'm worried that it made him sick." Then when she finds out he needs to eat human flesh to avoid decomposing more, she kidnaps him a kid from the grocery store. It's wonderfully sublime.

This movie was just what I needed after Splice. It might sound weird that a zombie movie is more heart warming than a scifi movie with cute little clones. (I stand by the fact that baby Dren was super cute.) I have already blogged about how zombie movies can totally be heart warming, though, so it's all good. (See Fido.) I highly recommend this film to anyone who loves zombies and black comedies.

2 comments:

  1. YAYAYAYAYAY! I'm so glad you liked it!!!

    Also, did you notice that Dren is "nerd" spelled backwards? Because I didn't until my dad mentioned it while watching, I think, TMZ one day. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did! It is mentioned for like one second during the movie. It's how they end up naming her since their company was called NERD. I was still liking the movie at that point and laughed when Elsa was like "Yes, I'm a nerd!" XD

    ReplyDelete