02 July 2010

Kids These Days

IMDb is stalking me. Seriously. I pull up the page for Youth in Revolot and the suggestions at the bottom of the page are Adventureland, The Whackness and Running with Scissors. It's stalking me and what movies I watch. Looks like I gotta install a security system on my house.

Oh yeah, so, I did finally get around to seeing Youth in Revolt. Quick review says it was well worth the wait. I'm afraid that I have still not read the book (It's on my ever growing list, I swear!) so I cannot compare it. I found it extremely funny, though. While I don't mind watching raunchy comedies, I usually will laugh my butt off but not fall in love with the film. However, YIR deals with a male teen's look at sex in a more dignified (Is it even possible to use dignified and a horny male teen in the same sentence?) manner.


(picture copyright Dimension Films)


My one problem with the film is that there are so many fantastic minor characters I would have loved to see more of. Fred Willard as Nick's (Michael Cera) neighbor Mr. Ferguson was fantastic in what little screen time he had. Then again, I just might be partial because it's frickin' Fred Willard people! I also enjoyed Nick's best friend Lefty (Erik Knudsen) who had me in stiches. Probably because alot of my friends sound just like him when they pine over the object of their affection.

[SPOILERS AHEAD] I have looked this up on the boards, and I have to feel like my reputation can stay in tact because the whole movie I was convinced that Trent (Jonathan B. Wright) was a fake boyfriend. Apparently in the book, Trent has a much bigger role, but I do enjoy the joke that Nick believed Sheeni (Portia Doubleday) was making up her boyfriend, so he made up an equally ridiculous girlfriend. So, I didn't see that coming, but while the ending does have boy getting girl, I was thourghly satisfied.

I do have to go off on a little tangent, though. (Don't I always?) I should just stop reading the message boards before doing these reviews. Well, at least the threads that are titled I guess name-dropping passes as clever dialogue these days. Everyone is saying things such as this movie isn't believable because teenagers do not talk this way. So, just because we're young we cannot be intelligent? I'm getting seriously tired of this; I get enough of it in real life. Three years ago I was the same age as the character Nick. I definitely am not the brightest bulb, but I was in the top third of my class. I wrote for my school paper. Yet, I also did the usual stupid stuff a teen does. [SPOILERS AHEAD] Granted, I don't listen to Frank Sinatra and I didn't set fire to my mom's car, but that's only because I perfer rock and my mom doesn't drive. Give us kids a chance. We do know what we're talking about and we can make some darn good movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment