15 June 2010

Summer Is Here

Well, technically the actual first day of summer isn't for a couple more weeks. Heat wise, it's definitely summer already. It's hit 95 here several times... during May. Ugh, I hate summer weather. I truly do. There is something about summer that I don't hate, though. Summer movies. Letting me near a movie theater during the summer... it's like letting a kid loose in a candy store.

Usually there is at least five movies that I wouldn't mind seeing. I'll end up killing two birds with one stone and frequent the drive in as well as the local theater. However, this year, there really is only one movie I'm interested in seeing. This makes me sad. What else is there to do during the summer besides watch over priced movies in an over air conditioned arena?

Everything that's coming out this year kind of looks disappointing. It's nothing but remakes, sequels and more fricking Twilight. I'm obviously not interested in that and I think the 80's want their crappy movies and TV shows back.

There is some hope, though. That hope comes in the nerdtastic form of Scott Pilgram vs the World. Following up the success of Kick-Ass, Scott is another movie based on a little known graphic novel. (It's actually mentioned by the characters in Kick-Ass when discussing novels they like.)


(picture via blogspot)


I'll be honest: I haven't read the novel. I'm not big into comic books and graphic novels. My dad almost had to twist my arm to read Maus. I did enjoy it, but I'm still not totally into it. The only comics I read as a kid were Archie. My nerdiness comes from other sources. I'll kind of feel lame if I go and buy it now to read right before the movie comes out.

The concept sounds hilarious, though, and I am definitely looking foward to this movie. The tagline on IMDb is "An epic of epic epicness." I really hope that it lives up to that. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to go see The A-Team just so I can see a summer movie that delivers. Lord help me.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read it either, but it's on my list. I got really excited when it was mentioned in Kick-Ass, actually.
    I can't wait to see it.

    P.S., I had to read Maus for my Holocaust class last semester. I liked it enough not to sell it back to the school.
    /nerd

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did I. I was like "Hey, that's on my list when it comes out!" Then my mom was like "Ssshh... we're in a theater." :D

    It is a fantastic novel. I really like the concept that the Jews are mice and the Nazis are cats. I'm just so used to regular novels that it's hard to sit and actually read a graphic novel for me. :P

    ReplyDelete