16 June 2010

Do Over

It was a rainy day here in NEPA. As soon as I woke up, I was greeted by the rain pounding down and the sky still as grey as when I had gone upstairs. So I decided it was a movie marathon kind of day. I ended up watching the Dawn of the Dead remake, and I realized that I have yet to do an entry on remakes. We can't have that, now can we?

I have obviously touched based on remakes in a few other entries. For instance, I complained about the horror movie remakes that are being made fast than you can say "Leatherface" these days. Then I continued that complaint in my review of the new Nightmare on Elm Street.

It's not just horror movies that are in trouble though. Hollywood has just run out of ideas and continues to steal good (and okay, not so good) movies to "update" which basically means more guts and more nudity. Well, at least pretaining to horror and action movies. If they remade Gone With the Wind, I doubt there would be guts. Definitely nudity, though. Then again, it is set during a war. There are alot of guts in a war.

The point is, a movie shoudn't be remade just to use the new technology for effects. It should be that you want to put your own little spin on it. Take the Dawn of the Dead remake, for example. It's the only remake of a Romero film that I like because I am very picky about the reworkings of some of my favourite films. However, James Gunn gave his own little twist in the script. [SPOILERS AHEAD] Basically, he took the main plotline of the survivors going to the mall, but he added a few characters, a zombie baby and pretty badass busses.


(picture copyright Strike Entertainment)


Unfortunately, alot of other remakes are the original movie with computer graphics, actors who are conventionally "better looking" and a slightly punched up script. Frankly, it's getting really damn annoying. They'd be better off pulling a Lost Boys and making a sequel 20 years after the fact instead. At least then you are writing somewhat original material. I know I could never write a movie script, and I should chastize Hollywood when I don't know how hard it is. But it's your job people. Learn to be a bit creative, even if you're just adding a few new ideas to something old.

No comments:

Post a Comment