11 June 2010

Fifty Laughs

First, a bit of a follow up from yesterday. I did a Google search for "donner party zombies" and this article came up. It's about the movie I mentioned in yesterday's entry. The person who wrote the article is a horror fan who enjoyed the film and described it as "disturbing yet accurate" of a film. Just thought I'd share that. (No, no films with the Donner Party and zombies. Sorry.)

Today I offer you a review of a Lou Taylor Pucci movie. Yes, I know that you won't accept my rave review of any of his movies now that you know I love him, but give it a chance. I promise you this review is totally unbiased. Granted, I did rent the movie because he was in it (amongst alot of other fantastic actors) but at the time, I didn't think it would be all that good.

It's a straight foward comedy, which, I usually tend to stay away from unless it's big budget. Odd, I know, but you don't really hear too much from independently made comedies and let me tell you why: they usually suck. I rented it hoping maybe for a couple laughs at that. It isn't a fantastic movie, but it definitely was better than I expected.


(picture copyright Coalition Film)


It was really hard to find a picture from this movie. It was very low budget, and it's definitely noticable from the way it's shot. I could say that it adds to the charm of the film, but it doesn't really. It doesn't bug me, though. [SPOILERS AHEAD] What bugs me more is that Seoul Man (Ron Yuan) is the drug dealer in town, and Petunia (Monica Keena) buys her drugs from Darren (Pucci). I understand that they needed a way to introduce Seoul Man and then neatly tie the movie together.

Other than that, there isn't that much of a plotline. Darren has to sell fifty pills of ecstacy to earn enough money to continue going to college. Throw in a kinda lame love story, and you have Fifty Pills. Yeah, it sounded lame to me too. It does deliver on laughs, though. Coco and I were laughing our butts off throughout the whole movie. It's not Pucci's (or anyone else involved) best work, but we all need a laugh with no strings attached once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment