24 April 2010

Sex and Violence

I was discussing the entry I posted about movies that always make me cry with my sister, Nica. She agreed with them all, and we even started tearing up discussing how we would always watch Ever After together on days my father wasn't feeling well. To paraphrase a character from one of the other movies that always makes me cry, sometimes we would need a good cry.

She said, though, "Why didn't you include SLC Punk? That movie always makes you cry." That is very true. I was thinking about it, and I realized that all the movies I wrote about were ones that did have happy endings despite the sadness. SLC Punk doesn't have a happy ending. Not even a bittersweet one. In fact, it's a very open ended ending... much like real life.

I have always loved this movie since the first time I saw it. I can admit that it's not actually fantastic. They got so caught up making sure it was different than most movies with it's storytelling. Sure, it gives our narrator Stevo (Matthew Lillard), alot of character. He gets off track telling stories. He'll go off on tanjents and we find ourselves watching a 10 minute scene that doesn't have much to do with the main plotline.

But at least it's an interesting tanjent. Alot of the critisism concerning the film is that it takes the ideas from other films such as Trainspotting, but it does not come through as well. Sure, this movie does get lost in itself. I get lost in that world too, though. This may sound cliche, but I know what it feels like to be the kid who's just wandering around and after going to shows and hanging around all day has lost it's fun, you think "What do I do with my life?"

I think that SLC Punk isn't a movie everyone should see. I don't think it's a classic, but it will always have it's cult following. It's a good movie with a can do attitude, it's fair share of mistakes, but all the fun that an independent movie should.

No comments:

Post a Comment