25 April 2010

Summer Is Near

I have been told from my friends that my movie reviews are, and I quote, "peepants worthy". For that, I thank you. That made my day. I've also been told by a friend that (500) Days of Summer was awful. I demanded an explanation. (She's working on it.) So, for my part, I shall review my favourite movie for today's entry. This is dedicated to you KJ and Kel.

Yes, I said favourite. I know it only came out last year, but I was literally blown away from the first five minutes of this movie. I went to see it three times in the theater, and it wasn't even showing in my town. I figured since I saw the ads that I would enjoy it. I am a huge Zooey Deschanel fan (If this is news to you, where have you been?) and it looked sweet and quirky. (Just how I like my indie/romance/comedies.)

First of all, I loved that it was shot out of chronilogical order. I don't think the movie would have had the same charm with the story being told in order. We, along with Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) have to see the memories the way he remembers them... not as they truly were. As the movie goes on, we keep seeing these same circumstances, however, and we notice the small changes. [SPOILERS AHEAD] How the reason he was hugging Summer (Zooey Deschanel) wasn't because they were simply showing affection, but because Summer was crying.

Once again, I'm going to gush about Chloe Grace Moretz who is brillant as Tom's little sister, Rachel. Tom goes to his younger sister for advice as much as he talks to his friends (Geoffrey Arend and Matthew Gray Gubler). She is his voice of reason, and is the only one who can tell Tom that Summer wasn't the one and to look differently at his memories of her. I really would have loved that they included her interview in the Documentary of Love. It was cut out, and if you own/rent the DVD, I highly suggest you watch that for her view on love.

[SPOILERS AHEAD] There are just so many random things that I love about this movie from the consistent blue colour scheme (Marc Webb explained that it was to bring out the blue of Deschanel's eyes) to the dance sequence after Tom and Summer sleep together the first time to Paul's (Gubler) one line during the Documentary of Love. It literally makes me tear up every time.

For once, a realistic love film that shows that the girl of your dreams might not be what you really need.

No comments:

Post a Comment