26 April 2010

The King of the 90's

We all sometimes wonder when watching a TV show or movie from our childhood "I wonder what happened to him?" Well, thanks to IMDb, I don't actually ask that, but I know how you feel. There were alot of talented actors in movies I love from the 90's and they just disappeared. Or make guest appearances on every Law and Order.

One actor in paticular that stands out for me is Devon Sawa. He made three awesome movies, and then he just started to fade... away...

Now he did make some movies after the three I'm referring to, (Hold yer horses. I'm going to talk about those soon enough.) but he could have been become a household name. He had the talent. Instead of starring in the next blockbuster, though, he's starring in B horror films.

Obviously, I'm alright with that. I do have my soft spot for cheesy horror movies, and I do love keeping a good thing to myself. (We all know how I feel when bands I love make it big and their songs are played on MTV while drunk orange girls get naked.) I'm just slightly confused.

From 1998 to 2000, Sawa made three films that I absolutely love and watch countless times. One of them being SLC Punk (which I blogged about several days ago) as Sean. How could anyone forget those glorious bright green liberty spikes? His performance was hilarious yet heartbreaking. I seriously believe he made that movie.

Then he began the trend of the horror films. He starred in another cult classic called Idle Hands. Idle Hands is a little bit thriller, a little bit zombedy and a little bit typical slacker movie. It never fails to make me laugh, and I'm pretty sure it helped fuel my love for zombies.

Lastly, probably his most popular film, Final Destination. He had some success with this film that spawned three sequels (two that are equally as good and one that should have stayed on the cutting room floor). It is such a unique concept that definitely creeped me out as a nine year old who was already afraid of flying. It has also led to me and my sister having many debates of what we'd do in that situation.

Okay, granted, none of these films were brillant. They rely on either cheap thrills or lowest common denominator humour. I love them none-the-less. And it definitely doesn't take away from Sawa's talent. He was, and still is, a great actor. I guess the B horror movie genre is extremely lucky to have him. And I guess I get to keep him to myself.

2 comments:

  1. Sean was amazing.
    He reminds me of Tyler when I find him wandering around high. XD

    ReplyDelete