16 April 2010

Young at Heart

I love watching children's films. They make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I would say young again, but I still am a kid. I mean, I would chose to watch Disney films over the latest raunchy comedy. (Then again, I watch those too.)

However, this is why I was extremely stoked to go see How to Train Your Dragon. I figured I'd just be waiting to rent it on DVD, but I was invited by my younger sister and her posse to go to the theaters to see it on Friday evening.

Now, I know I've knocked the 3-D craze in the past (New readers who haven't followed me on other sites: now you know.) I still hold steady to my opinion that it's sad they need to release every film in 3-D to get people to go to the theater. Usually the technology is not used to it's full extent and it still seems as cheesy as Friday the 13th 3 in 3-D. (Which I actually love. The scene where Jason crushes some guy's head and his eyeball shoots out... Classic.)

However, if you go to see Dragon, it MUST BE in 3-D. Instead of things randomly flying to you, the film makers used the 3-D to make the entire film so realistic. The characters may have been computer generated, yet they just seemed so real. I automatically fell in love with the dragon, Toothless. His big green eyes and protective nature toward Hiccup... just darling.

It was visually stunning, and I just cannot put it in words. The flying scenes were absolutely beautiful, and I felt like I was literally flying there with Hiccup on Toothless's back. Matt, my sister's boyfriend, was constantly reaching out pretending to be touching the clouds as Toothless was soaring.

All visual aspects aside, the film was spectacular without the technology. It was absolutely brillant and unique. It is the perfect children's movie. An alienated boy finds his true calling in life, friends and the acceptance of his father he so badly craved his whole life.


If you get the chance, you must MUST MUST go see this in theaters.

4 comments:

  1. Great review :)
    I'll have to persuade my mam to bring my cousin to this,sooo wanna see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank ya Lou.

    Yes, you must! You will definitely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely was. I'd probably say (and this is tentative) it's the best movie of the year.

    ReplyDelete