20 April 2010

"The river made me feel stuck."

My gram went to see every Elvis movie in the theater. You're probably wondering why I would start this entry off like this. Well, for one reason, I could then tell you about the awesome set of dishes she'd get. For a week, they'd hand out one piece of a set every time you went to see a movie. She still has them too.

That's not why, though. I started it off that way to prove a point. My gram is a huge Elvis fan. She has all his records, all his movies, she even has the Elvis Barbie doll. (Fangirl-ness runs in the family, apparently.) Anymore, though, people aren't as, shall we say, dedicated to actors.

Sure, we still all have our favourite actors, but does everyone go out of their way to see every movie they've been in? Not really. All these tweens that are in love with Robert Pattinson probably haven't bothered to rent Little Ashes.

Now call me old-fashioned... Or call me obsessive. Both would be correct. I have been renting every movie with one paticular actor in it since I first saw him. He is my favourite actor, and without bias, probably one of the best actors of our generation.

His name is Lou Taylor Pucci. You might not know that name, but I can guarantee you know the face. He starred in a little music video called Jesus of Surburbia. It's a shame that's probably all he'll be remembered for when he should be known for his fantastic work in movies such as The Go-Getter and Thumbsucker.

Thumbsucker was his first lead role, and it was the first movie I ever saw Pucci in. I was immediately in love. He puts everything into every character he plays. He always had long hair until Jesus of Surburbia. When they said they would give him a wig, he refused. He cut his hair short, dyed it black and spiked it as they wanted for Saint Jimmy. He is completely dedicated when it comes to the look and personality of the character he is playing.

I may sound like I'm gushing, and I am. I've been a huge fan of Pucci's since 2005, and I honestly do watch every movie he's been in even if I'm not interested. I sat through Fast Food Nation just because he had a bit role as some crazed vegan dude who wanted to free cows. Yeah, I'm not joking. It was so ridiculous, and to top it all off, the named him Paco. Seriously?

If you haven't seen a movie of his, you definitely must. First on my list would be The Go-Getter. It's such a great film with a unique concept, a great soundtrack (M. Ward and The Replacements) and fantastic cast besides Pucci to boot. (Zooey Deschanel and Jenna Malone co-star.)

2 comments:

  1. I need to figure out how to do a thumbs up in my comments ...

    I see what you mean.
    I get fangirlie over books more than movies (eh-hem, namely John Green books/John Green in general).
    Hm. I wonder if there's anyone who I would get all goofy like that over, though.
    I must ponder this further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There should be a way.

    Oh, I'm the same way too. I'm a Joe Meno fangirl to the end.

    Well, I would suggest to get all goofy over Lou Taylor Pucci, but that's just one possible suggestion. :P

    ReplyDelete