27 July 2010

There's a Difference

Today's review comes curtsey of Sonya who suggested this gem. I love when I have to go on an epic quest to get a movie, but sometimes it's worth it. Blockbuster's website did not have Splinterheads, so I ended up asking Coco to rent it on Netflix for me. She was also kind enough to sit down and watch the movie as well.

I knew I was going to enjoy the film to some extent because I have an odd love for anything dealing with carnivals and the many lifestyles revolving around them. (Did I not just mention I read Geek Love a few entries back? Cyeah.) Don't confuse splinterheads with carnies because they'll get mad. They have to honestly work for their money by wrangling in the weakest of the pack. The guy who would spend $20 to win his girlfriend a $2 teddy bear.

The film focusses on Justin (Thomas Middleditch) who gets caught up in the exciting life of a splinterhead named Galaxy (Rachael Taylor) and all the other excentric carnival workers. I know why Sonya loved it so much since Galaxy is into geocaching to keep herself occupied when she's not working the games. Justin ends up going along with her looking for one cache and I have to say it's one of the cutest scenes I've seen in awhile.


(picture copyright Atlantic Pictures (II)


Of course, I loved Christopher McDonald as Bruce just because he's awesome and has mucho indie cred. (SLC Punk, Fanboys, etc.) It seems I have once again found a film where I like the supporting cast just as much as our main players. Not more, though, unlike Vampire's Assistant. Justin and Galaxy are fantastic characters, and I would have loved to see them develop more. The concept is unique and cute though and the movie does not let up on the laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment