16 July 2010

Magically Surprised

I have seriously been slacking on my blog, I know. Don't you fret, though. (My total of 8 followers and any other random person who somehow stumbles upon here.) I watched two movies today, so you get one review now and another tomorrow. Isn't that great news? Oh, and I have spoilers for you. Both reviews are good. So no complaining from me.

Well, there is some complaining. I know I should stop reading the boards on IMDb. People there are ruder than I am. (And I'm pretty dang rude.) Granted, The Sorcerer's Apprentince is not the best film of the year. I enjoyed it though. Don't go to the board's if you're thinking of seeing this film. There are some unbiased and accurate reviews on the main page.

Everyone is mostly saying that the casting choice for Dave (Jay Baruchel) was off. Oh, and that no one can stand his voice. Okay, first of all, I just freaking love Jay Baruchel. I first saw him in Fanboys, and I was in love. I mostly went to see this because he was in it. Would I have seen it if he wasn't? Probably because I love kid films. (Yes, I know I've said it a bajillion times.)


(picture copyright Walt Disney Pictures)


My Mr. Baruchel obsession aside, I think he did a fantastic job. The nerds are taking over the world and he is one of our own! [SPOILERS AHEAD] Well, Dave goes beyond nerd. He actually is smart. I was a bit mad that it was a kid's movie for a bit because they never let him go into much detail concerning his Tesla project. I wanted to know! Science confuses me, and I wanted to learn.

The movie was fast paced, but you can see Dave maturing and getting a hold on his powers. [SPOILERS AHEAD] I highly enjoyed the homage to the Fantasia scene with the mops. It was definitely well done, and I think they truly made it this movie's own with the added danger of the electrical equipment in the room. I also did like Nicolas Cage. I'm still not sure why I like him, but I do. He's got... spunk.

Apprentince is a great family film. While I still think that Pixar dominates children's films, Disney definitely gave it their best shot to counter that. The effects are good, there are a few laughs, and it's an enjoyable story. What else could you ask from a summer flick?

2 comments:

  1. Ah! Jay Baruchel was the only reason I was really interested in the movie. I think he's so adorable. I may have a slight crush on him. Hehe. xD
    So perhaps I'll be able to drag Dan to this one. o.O

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is.
    Oh, it's more than a slight crush for me. Hehe. ;)

    ReplyDelete