10 July 2010

Antihero Wins Again

Yes, I know I rant on and on about how I love a good antihero. It's also common knowledge I absolutely adore children's films. Some of my favourite movies that have come out in the past year were all animated films (Up!, How to Train Your Dragon, etc.) So, needless to say, I went to see Despicable Me yesterday.

While Despicable cannot hold a candle to Up! which is more than likely the most heart wrenching and beautiful movie I have seen in years, it definitely was a gem of a film. I love seeing kid's movies in theaters because there is no better soundtrack than the children's reactions. The whole movie, I could hear giggles galore.


(picture copyright Illumination Entertainment)


The plot could be described as preditable, but what movie doesn't follow the sterotypes of the genre anymore? I still felt that it was a wonderful story for a kid's film, but that's not the best part. Being the nerd I am, I have to rave about the casting. Steve Carell is hilarious, and I can admit this despite hating The Office. I still love him in Little Miss Sunshine; he made that movie. Jason Segel stole the show though as Vector. He had me in stiches.

I loved the animation immensely. Gru's (Carell) house is absolutely brillant. I would love to live there. Not more than the house in Help! but if that's not available for sale when I move out, Gru's house is a good second choice. Of course, I fell in love with Agnes (Elsie Fisher). She's so adorable and has an understanding far beyond her years. Plus, I can't stop saying "It's so fluffy!" thanks to seeing the ads at least 20 times a day.

It seems that the biggest hope for Hollywood these days are children's films, and I'm glad. These movies are even surpassing movies that I grew up with and I can't wait to see more.

1 comment: