17 July 2010

Dinner Time

Yes, another children's movie. As I have said, I believe that the future in Hollywood lies in these films. The animation is incredible and the stories are so whimsical. Last night I watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and as I let on yesterday, I loved it.

I really wish I had read this book a child. I just know I would have loved it. The story is about an inventor named Flint (Bill Hader) who invents a machine to turns water into food. Due to a bit of a mishap, the machine is launched into the sky which causes it to rain food. I find Hader very funny, but he was not the only one making me laugh.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I didn't stop laughing the whole movie. Anna Faris, even in a cartoon, plays her usual type of character: a girl who is actually smart but can be a bit ditsy. Mr. T as Earl the cop and Bruce Campbell as the Mayor were both surprisingly fantastic. I would never have imagined either of them in a children's movie, but it worked so well.


(picture copyright Columbia Pictures)


Steve the monkey (Neil Patrick Harris) was the best character though. He plays a very small role seeing as how his vocabulary is limited to his name, colours, foods and a few other easy words. Yet, he definitely gets the most laughs. [SPOILERS AHEAD] I knew that there had to be something with the gummi bears as Steve keeps requesting Flint to make some. At the end, when he eats the live gummi bears attacking Flying Car 2, I was in hysterics.

It is a good decade to be a kid. Not that I have anything against the movies I had growing up as a kid (I'll always love you Aladdin!) but I'm a bit jealous of this generation. As much as I dissed the 3D craze, it is making all this animated films come out in alarming rates, yet they are all fantastic. I am eagerly awaiting the next kid's film.

2 comments:

  1. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was really cute, I agree! I was kind of nervous going into it because I loved the book as a kid, and I knew the movie would be nothing like the book, so I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! When I did my research, I did not find one good review by someone who had read the book, so it's good to know they did it justice.

    ReplyDelete