16 August 2010

Epic Journey for an Epic Movie

Can you believe our movie theater had a power outage and didn't post anything on their website. Nica, Coco and I went to the theater to see Scott Pilgrim and the entire block was out. Thanks alot Movies 14. Luckily for us, we went on a trip and travled the extra 20 odd minutes to the other movie theater in the area and had our fingers crossed a show was coming up soon. We made it about 50 minutes before the next one.

We didn't really think that it would be all for nothing. I personally had high hopes for this film. When I first read about it and that Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) would be directing, I was ecstatic. He did not disappoint. His unique style was perfect for this movie. I loved the old school throw back of the KAPOWS and such during the fight sequences. It just fit perfectly.

However, everyone involved took on a huge thing here compacting six graphic novels into one movie. Alot of characters to deal with, and as I have mentioned in previous entries (see review on Clue) that movies with that many main characters have to really work hard if they want to make it work.


(picture via srahberry.com)


Scott Pilgrim almost did that. The sad thing is that I ended up loving secondary characters way more than the main ones. Sure, Scott (Michael Cera) was your typical lovable nerd. I can't help but love that guy. It's why I keep coming back to these movies. However, Scott was a jerk. He wasn't lovable. Sure, he learned his lesson in the end, but I could have cared less to be honest.

I also was a bit disappointed in Ramona (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). She seemed like she was going to be such a bad ass girl character and I was stoked. Instead, she fell flat. Her character barely had any real dimension and I didn't see why anyone would really risk their life fighting off her evil exes for her "love". Yeah, I was convinced she had no feelings. Sociopath, much? It's of course no insult to Ms. Winstead who I think is an incrediable actress.

I did laugh. Oh, did I laugh. Mostly because of Wallace (Kieran Culkin). His character truly was the best in the entire film. [SPOILERS AHEAD] The scene where they honoured Seinfeld, I was in stiches. That scene also had one of the many wonderful little touches that I loved. I won't give it away even though it contains no spoilers, wouldn't ruin anything for you, etc. Just because I love you that much. You can find this for yourself.

So set aside a few quibbles because let's face it. I always have quibbles. Even about my favourite movies. Those aside now... It was a fantastic movie. This is what you expect for summer entertainment. Okay, so it is action-y, but not like Inception. Which still has a lame ending. I don't care what you say. Oh, and dang Jason Schwartzman's character being named Gideon. All I could think about was Criminal Minds. :D

6 comments:

  1. Scott was a jerk, and Ramona was a bitch (she even said it herself, lol). I agree. I still loved them, though. Is that weird?

    Dan LOVED the Seinfeld scene, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaahhh!It's not out here yet so I had to avoid the spoilers part :( Can't wait to see it though :)
    I'm going into town to try and meet Michael Cera,Anna Kendrick and Edgar Wright tonight!YUS! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know she said she was a bitch. I can be a bitch, but I like to think that people can view me as a person. To me... she really did seem like a 2D character from a book. Oh well. It's not weird that you still liked them. There is an audience out there who must like those kind of characters.

    It was a great scene. :D

    Lou, I am so jealous. If you meet Edgar Wright... please tell him your friend from Pennsylvania loves him and wants to have his babies. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrienne Cocco8/16/10, 2:16 PM

    Same about the whole Gideon thing. But I still disagree. The ending to Inception was magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww,we didn't get to meet any of them!But we did get free tickets into the premiere so that was amazing!Jason Schwartzman was there too!
    If I ever see Edgar Wright again I'll tell him that,haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coco, shup up. It was too open ended and lame and you know it. XD

    Oh, as much as I love Mr. Wright, I'd rather have Mr. Shwartzman's babies. ;)

    That sucks Lou, but hey. A free movie is always good. :)

    ReplyDelete