10 August 2010

Dream World

It took me awhile, but I finally made it to see Inception. Granted, I had to walk to the theater, but I saw it. Was it worth it? I'm not entirely sure. I heard it takes a few viewings to really "get it" but I like to think that I'm intelligent enough to have understood it the first time. It did make sense, but I wasn't completely blown away.

It made me happy that I found someone on the boards who wasn't just gushing over this film, though I fear they just don't like action as much as I do. (Read the thread here.) The advertisements for movies just don't make sense anymore. They never explain what the movie is really about. It did not come across as an action film to me.


(picture copyright Warner Bros. Pictures)


However, the movie was dominated by action sequences that ended up, borrowing a phrase from my new friend, repetative minus the ones with Arthur (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) fighting in the hotel's hallway. (Which I must say is my favourite part of the movie. Great effects guys. Kudos.) The concept was definitely original and I was interested in the way the characters entered dreams and how they were affected within them.

Unfortunately, once we hit the halfway point, they lost me. No, they didn't lose me because they were going into dreams within dreams. I understood it. [SPOILERS AHEAD] I was lost because it was nothing but them running from Robert's (Cillian Murphy) security. Man, poor Mr. Murphy. I've loved him since I saw Breakfast on Pluto, but Mr. Nolan is cruel to him.

The third Christopher Nolan movie in five years in which Cillian Murphy's character spends a significant portion of his on-screen time with a cloth bag over his head.


His talent was wasted in this movie. Too many main characters that we do not get enough background on anyone except for Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio). I would have loved more an Arthur and Eames (Tom Hardy) who have a history. Maybe some scenes of past jobs instead of an hour of guns blasting?

When it comes down to it, I thought that the concept was fantastic, it was shot well and the actors did a great job. I'm just not an action film fan and therefore it just did not appeal to me. I have to say it again, though. Mr. Gordon-Levitt and zero gravity? It was so awesome!

4 comments:

  1. The hall scene with JGL was my favorite, too!
    And I understood it in one viewing, too. We're just that's smart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrienne Cocco8/10/10, 8:24 PM

    I also understood it in one viewing. Amazing, right? My dad didn't though. But I have to disagree with you. I thought that all scenes and the score were absolutely brilliant. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I hate about "Inception"-- really hate, as opposed to niggedly-piggedly hate over things like all the action sequences looking like bad Bond outtakes-- is the fact that we're "supposed" to see it several times to understand it. That's the real inception here: YOU WILL BUY MORE THAN ONE TICKET. YOU WILL SEE IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. (Would be really fun to find out that Warner Brothers actually does have it jam-packed with subliminal messages to that effect, sort of like the truly queasifying stuff in "The Exorcist.") I "got it" just fine the first time, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Sonya and Coco, we are just that smart.

    My friend Thaddeus was the one saying I had to see it more than once. I was like "Dude... I get it. I just don't get why I'm supposed to love it."

    I knew you'd love it Coco. You like action movies. I would have rathered they'd talk for another hour about the whole thing then see them put the plan into action. For the last hour, it was mostly just eye candy for me. Mhm JGL. ;)

    Oh, I totally agree stranger. I think the only reason we're actually getting movies from Hollywood that require us to think is so that they WILL make more money. The average Joe who goes to the movies would not consider Inception your typical summer film. They would want mindless entertainment. Though, that still doesn't mean they can leave us with a shitty ending. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete